Sunday, January 4, 2009

I can tell your future
Look what's in your hand
But I can't stop for nothing
I'm just playing in the band

For years I have struggled to explain to others just why I love the Grateful Dead.
What does it mean? Music for sure and lyrics both enigmatic and sometimes silly or just plain fun. At times they were otherworldly, other times mediocre in their performance. All I can say with certainty is that they could resonate so deeply in my soul that I was lost in the moment. As close to being unaware of self as ever I have come.
Many of us strive to 'live fully in the moment.' Few succeed. Being at a Grateful Dead concert was my gateway to otherness. On a really good night you could be transported out of your own head and into a realm of sound. Maybe just for moments or seconds but it was enough to keep me coming back for more.
Even now, years after the death of Jerry Garcia I find it hard to listen to their music. It's just too intense and it makes me long for one more night, one more concert.
I had some Grateful Dead dreams. I wanted to hear them play the song "stella Blue" live in concert. A magical experience that one. I also wanted to hear "Brokedown Palace" live. That one never happened. I also longed to see them live on New Year's Eve. Procrastinators, take note, if you want something go for it NOW.
Always I remain,
Gratefully Dead.

No comments: