Sunday, December 7, 2008

Going North Rant

Some years ago I moved to a tropical place. The air is soft, moist and sometimes downright humid. The light is kind, friendly and things appear lush and rich in color. I love it. There we are surrounded by green growing things and nature's bounty. Wildlife from the smallest ants and colorful birds to large cats (fast disappearing unfortunately) and monkeys keep us company. You never have to remember your jacket when you go out because you will never get really cold. Do remember the umbrella though when it's the rainy season.
As I write this I am back in the land of cold. The good thing is that it's a short visit. Right now there is snow on the ground and the wind is bitterly cold. A weak sun is shining but it only serves to provide illumination, no heat. There is a stark kind of beauty but I find it harsh. My skin is dry, my lips are chapped and my hair is a sad bedraggled mess due to dryness. Lotion and chapstick only go so far.
I have heard many people say they love winter. Some like winter sports. I never did and I often doubt those who profess this love of cold weather. Spring and Fall can be stunningly beautiful but not this. To me winter is bleak and depressing. It was always so for me. And now that I have lived where nature is kinder to the human soul and body I am more determined to stay away from northern climes.
Of course I am grateful that not everyone wants to live where I do. It would grow too crowded and turn into another concrete, mall clogged, traffic nasty, crazed and unliveable place.
If all goes well I'll be home shortly. I can shed these layers of fleece and wool, socks and hats, and get back to real living!

No comments: